I attended the High Level strategic consultative stakeholders’ meeting on Smart City Mission at Community Hall in Namchi. The meeting discussed and deliberated on transforming the seven Council Areas in Namchi, including the Bazaar into unique eco-friendly, neat, clean green and a smart city. The project will ensure that important components such as healthcare facilities, education, public transport, drinking water supply, internet connectivity, disaster management, energy management are provided to the citizens of Namchi.
A powerpoint presentation followed by an interactive session was also held to further discuss on issues and queries pertaining to development of infrastructure and related activities for Namchi Smart City project.
I said that all plans and programmes of the State Government are always in the interest of the common people. I reiterated the fact that the Government machinery creates opportunities for the people; and the onus lies on the people to work hard and make use of these opportunities to their advantage. I urged the people of Namchi to be responsible and work colletively towards making Namchi a model and an examplary city. They should be a representation of an integrated and an inclusive society living in complete harmony. As residents of a smart city, they should also think and act as smart citizens.
Later, I visited all vacant Government lands where various developmental activites could be carried out. I also inspected the construction sites for Children’s Park and Old Age Home at Boomtar, Kisan Bazaar, extension of Central Park, Housing Complex and District Hospital.
I gave the following directions and suggestions:-
1. There should be proper co-ordination between all nodal and line departments for the project.
2. Priority to be given for healthcare, education system, transport, drinking water, internet connectivity and drainage system.
3. DC, Police and UDHD to keep vigil against those dumping waste materials along road sides and market places. Punitive action to be taken against defaulters.
4. All engineers of Roads & Bridges Department to work for construction of double-laned road. They should also ensure that road reserve is not encroached by individuals building houses along road sides.
5. All vacant spaces in and around Namchi to be used for construction of parking spaces with pay and use toilets.
6. Plantation drives to be carried out on other smaller vacant lands.
7. Street lights to be installed in all the streets of seven Municipal Areas of Namchi, particularly in the streets connecting Old Namchi to Chaar Dhaam and to Shridi Sai Mandir.
8. Pedestrian footpath to be constructed from Namchi Bazaar to Tamang Gumpa in Boomtar.
9. Various streets in Namchi can be utilized as food street, fashion street, flower street etc.
10. Ropeway must be made functional by April, 2018.
11. Flyover bridges to be constructed wherever required by including it in the Smart city plan.
12. Modern Library to be constructed at the vacant land near Dak Bungalow.
13. Namchi District Hospital to be renovated and upgraded from 175 to 300 bedded with proper parking facility by dismantling the old unutilized administrative blocks.
14. An open Amphitheatre to be constructed in Central Park by removing the water fountain.
15. Community Hall to be dismantled and reconstructed as modern building with two-storied parking facility, community hall, banquet hall etc.
16. Land adjacent to DAC, Namchi to be used for construction of office of Election Department including a store and cafeteria for general public.
I inaugurated the first free E-Learning Citizen Centre at Bhanjyang Road. The Government has planned to install 20 to 50 computers in all bazaar areas where free certification computer courses will be imparted by qualified teachers.
I also announced for construction of world class eco-friendly Children’s Park at Boomtar.